0
loading...
When a friend explained this new thing called Facebook, I couldn’t understand why you wouldn’t text a message to your friends, or share your photos over email, rather than posting them for everyone you knew to see. And I laughed at the idea of Twitter: who’d go for a pared back, rubbish version of Facebook? Needless to say, I’ve now enthusiastically embraced them all. But when I read that Facebook wants us to spend more time on it, the old late-adopter questions went through my mind. Users already spend an average 50 minutes a day on Facebook. Like most people I know, I use it mainly to keep up to date with friends, spy on my exes and show off about my social life. Fun up to a point, but I certainly don’t do that for almost an hour a day. How, then, does Facebook want to eke more time out of us? I spend far more than 50 minutes a day on social media in total: I just spend much more time on Twitter. The average Briton spends 80 minutes a day managing an average of four social networks. So it’s not the total time on social networks that I find it hard to get my head around. I read Twitter when I’m commuting, when I’m watching TV, and when I’m on hold waiting to speak to my bank. It decreases my productivity in some ways: I got very little work done the day Ken Livingstone’s self-implosion was being tracked in real-time. But for me, the benefits far outweigh the downsides: I read news on the go, and access thinking I simply wouldn’t if I were limited to reading one daily newspaper. As I suspect most people do, I fit social media around my life rather than vice versa. Because you can use social media while doing other things – travelling, watching, waiting – I’m sure there’s scope for the total time we spend on it to increase. But there’s got to be a limit, because we all have real-world things that require exclusive attention: reading to your kids, dinner with friends, meetings at work.

Post a Comment

Dear readers, after reading the Content please ask for advice and to provide constructive feedback Please Write Relevant Comment with Polite Language.Your comments inspired me to continue blogging. Your opinion much more valuable to me. Thank you.